Careers Privacy Notice
At IDP Education Pty Ltd (“IDP”) we understand that your privacy is important to you. We are committed to meeting your expectations and will comply with all applicable privacy and data protection legislation in relation to your personal information and sensitive information. This privacy notice describes why and how we collect and use personal data when you apply to work with IDP. We recruit people to work in different capacities and this notice is for anyone who applies for paid employment, internships, our ambassador programs or work experience.
Who we are
IDP is a global organisation that assists individuals to study abroad and provides English language testing around the world. This requires us to collect personal information from you. “We”, “us” and “our” refers to the IDP Group of companies, including IELTS Australia and Hotcourses Limited. Definitions of specific terms referred to in this policy can be found under the heading ‘Glossary’ at the end of this document.
Data Controller Contact Details
The Privacy Officer
IDP Education Limited
Two Melbourne Quarter
Level 10, 697 Collins St
Docklands VIC 3008
Contact our Privacy Officer via email at: email@example.com
We will endeavour to respond to you within a reasonable time and in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection legislation.
Collection of personal information
Visiting our Careers Website and Registration of interest
If you choose to register your interest with us and subscribe to receive job alerts, we may collect your marketing and/ or future employment preferences.
For details of the cookies we use on our websites, please click here.
When you apply to work with us, we will collect the personal information that you include in your application, such as your name and contact details, address, career history and education details.
• Contact details (name, email, telephone number);
• Areas of interest;
• CV, experience, education, academic and professional qualifications;
• Information provided as part of interviews and assessments;
• Recruitment process
When going through the recruitment process, we may collect and retain additional information from you relating to your application including (but are not limited to) emails, text messages, personal contact information, profile images, references, Interview and assessment results and feedback, call recordings, video interviews, and offer details.
We may also collect sensitive information from you, for example, medical information or criminal history, if it is relevant to the role that you are applying for, and whether you identify with various groups in relation to diversity and equal opportunities. We will only collect such sensitive personal information where you have consented to us doing so.
We obtain personal data from third party sources such as:
• References from your named referees;
• Information from your referrer (where applicable);• Results of Disclosure and Barring Service checks (depending on the role applied for);
• Verification of information provided during the recruitment process by contacting relevant third parties (for example, previous employers, education and qualification providers) or using publicly available sources (for example, to verify your experience, education and qualifications); and
• Information from social media sites that you are a member of about your engagement with our recruitment campaigns.
If your application is successful, we carry out pre-employment screening checks as part of our onboarding process, including psychometric testing. Depending on the role you have applied for, these checks may include background and criminal records checks.
For candidates successfully placed into new employment we will store additional data records such as evidence of right to work, and bank account details.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to our related entities, your referees and also to third party suppliers that we use to help with our recruitment processes, such as recruitment agencies and organisations that conduct reference checks, competency or psychometric tests. We may also disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record.
Other IDP Group entities
Your personal data will be provided to the IDP entity that has posted the position for which you are applying, and other IDP entities where the role you are being considered for involves working with such other entities and to assist with their recruitment and employment activities (for example, if they are recruiting for a role that matches your interests and experience).
Third party organisations that provide applications/functionality, data processing or IT services to us
We use the products and services of third-party organisations as part of the recruitment processes including Employment agencies or recruiters acting on behalf of a candidate. The products and services we use differ depending on the role you apply for and where the role is located.
Government and regulatory agencies as required by, and in accordance with, applicable law or regulation
We are required to keep records of our recruitment processes where we sponsor a worker from outside the country where the role is located. A local Immigration Department may have authority to obtain disclosure of this personal data to check that we are complying with applicable law and regulation. We will only fulfil requests for personal data where we are permitted to do so in accordance with applicable law or regulation.
Why do we collect this information?
In order for us to fulfil our mission, we want to make sure that the people who best fit our organization and have the right talent and skills are employed by IDP. We have an established recruitment process to help achieve this. We process personal data to attract and secure the best talent to work with us as follows:
• To attract talent and market opportunities at IDP
• To identify and source talent including by searching our existing talent pool and publicly available sources (such as social media and job websites of which you are a member)
• To process and manage applications for roles at IDP, evaluate you for open positions that match your interests and experience throughout the IDP network, manage your candidate profile, send you email notifications and other announcements, request additional information or otherwise contact you about your candidacy
• To screen and select talent by evaluating your suitability for employment with IDP, including through interviews and assessments and conducting background checks
.• To hire and onboard talent by making an offer to successful applicants and carrying out pre-employment screening checks.
• To conduct statistical analyses and create reports including for example regarding usage of our careers websites, demographic analysis of candidates, reports on IDP recruitment activities, and analysis of candidate sourcing channels.
• To administer and manage our careers websites and communicate with you about careers at IDP. We carry out background criminal records checks to comply with our legal obligations and for our legitimate interest, depending on the role:
(i) to establish whether an applicant has committed an unlawful act or been involved in dishonesty, malpractice or other seriously improper conduct; or
(ii) to comply with government and public sector clearance requirements. We collect and use information about race and ethnicity, religious and philosophical beliefs and health data for the following purposes:
• For our legitimate interest and reasons of substantial public interest.
• To comply with our legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments (for example, as a result of the outcome of a pre-employment medical assessment).
The steps we take to protect and keep secure the personal information we hold
We retain personal data processed in connection with our recruitment activities as follows:
If your application is successful
We will retain relevant personal data as part of your employee record.
If your application is unsuccessful
We will retain and use the information you provided to IDP as part of your application up to 12 months:
• to deal with any matter which may arise in connection with your application, for example where we sponsor a worker for immigration, we keep personal data about the other applicants for the role until we are audited by the applicable immigration authority to check we are complying with applicable law and regulation.
• to allow us to contact you regarding other employment opportunities that would be a fit for your talent profile and interests.
• we also retain data to allow us to perform analysis in aggregate to improve our ability to find and hire great people.
You have the right to seek access to any of your personal information held by us unless there is a valid reason under the Privacy Act or Data Protection Act for us to withhold the information. Valid reasons include:
• We have reason to suspect that unlawful activity or misconduct of a serious nature has been engaged in and giving access would be likely to prejudice the taking of appropriate action in relation to the matter; or
• Giving access would reveal evaluative information generated within us in connection with a commercially sensitive process. If your personal details change, or you believe the information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or out-of-date, please contact us so that we can correct our records.
Right to erasure
At your request, we will remove all the data we have for you which we are not legally required to retain.
Right to restrict processing
You have the right to restrict processing when you have exercised one of the above rights and it may take some time to process that request. For example: when you contact us to update your details you have the right to request restriction until your details are being updated.
Right to withdraw consent
For the processing activities where we have asked you for consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any point by unsubscribing from a message from us, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Right to object
You can object to the processing of your personal data.
Right to not be subject to automated decisions and profiling
None of our processing activities are purely automated and no decisions are made without human intervention. There are instances where we process data to analyse or predict behaviour but we will ask you for explicit consent when this processing will involve your personal data.
Right to data portability
If you have provided us with your personal data with consent or under the contact obligations, you have the right to request the data you have provided to us in a machine-readable format should you decide to move to another data controller.
Making a request
Requests for access or correction to your personal information or other privacy rights described above should be addressed to The IDP Privacy Officer by emailing email@example.com. All requests will be responded to in writing and in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection legislation. As part of this process we will verify the identity of the individual requesting the information prior to providing access or making any changes. If we cannot fulfil your request, we will respond to provide you with an explanation.